The China Times

Eleven People Died from Poison in Vinegar

August 22, 2011

Eleven people died in Xinjiang and 120 became ill probably have used vinegar stored in tanks that contained antifreeze, announced the Xinhua News Agency.

Eleven people, including children aged six, died after being poisoned at a dinner in the village of Sangzhu (桑株乡) in the region of Xinjiang, said police.

As the result of this new food scandal in China, one person was still in serious condition and the others were out of danger after receiving care. The villagers were apparently consumed vinegar that had been stored in two plastic bottles which contained antifreeze. Police said they were still awaiting the results of toxicology tests.

Antifreeze usually contains ethylene glycol which causes serious poisoning accompanied by diarrhea and vomiting and can cause a coma. The mass poisoning took place during Ramadan, when Muslim families are found in Xinjiang in the evening to break the fast number, the police added to explain the large number of people affected.

China has been regularly shaken by food scandals. Business of recycled cooking oils, eggs colored with dyes containing harmful carcinogenic fungi, counterfeit soybean sauce and adulterated wine were revealed in recent years in the country.

Share This Post